Awards to members for service in 2019
Newton/Ball Award: Michel Michaud
- Michel has made a major contribution to the Victoria Centre serving as Librarian and Observing Chair where he coordinated MIC’s for the VCO and scheduled Messier Marathons.
- He is one of the few who are qualified to run the Plaskett Telescope and plays an essential role operating this instrument at DAO Saturday Star Parties and capturing images for RASC’als.
- Michel’s quality binary star measurements in the Pleiades have been published in scientific databases and he serves as a role model for citizen science.
Ernie Pfannenschmidt Telescope Making Award: Ken Mallory
- For his innovative stylish design of a viewing shield that will safely allow observers to direct solar binoculars at the Sun.
Award of Excellence in Astrophotography: Doug MacDonald
- For his Excellence in capturing NGC 6992, The Eastern Veil in the Cyngus loop. Collecting 3 hours of Ha and OIII and one hour of RGB with a 5″ refractor in Victoria BC.
Certificate of Appreciation: Marjie Welchframe
- For her Outstanding Support and Engagement for recruiting and scheduling RASC’als to tend the Centre of the Universe Welcome Desk.
Certificate of Appreciation: Chris Aesoph
- For his Outstanding Support and Engagement for coordinating the RASC’s Stargazing event at Fort Rodd Hill.
Certificate of Appreciation: Bruce Lane
- For his Outstanding Support in organizing the Victoria Centre Star Party at St. Stephens Anglican Church and his effective recruitment of RASC Volunteers.
Certificate of Appreciation: David Lee
- For his vital contribution by stepping in as the Astronomy DayTeam Captain, recruiting Saturday Star Party Speakers and coordinating a Public Library Astronomy Display.